Thursday, March 11, 2021

Week 7 Story: Ao Run: The Dragon King of the West Sea

 

Recovering a Jewel from the Palace of the Dragon King. Utagawa Kuniyoshi. 1883. Source.

The King of the Dragons had domain over all of China. His kingdom was luscious and beautiful and full of life the envy of every monarch (at least the moral ones).

Along with his wife, The Dragon King traversed his lands for many years until he learned he was to be a father. The news of fatherhood excited the king, and wanted nothing more than to settle down with his love and rear his children.

The couple chose a hot spring perched atop a high mountain, and upon it they built a crystal palace. There, the queen gave birth to four dragons: Ao Guang, Ao Qin, Ao Shun, and Ao Run. The Dragon King loved his children so, but he especially loved Ao Run, the smallest of the four. For many years the family remained atop the mountain spring, and for many years they were happy.

As the dragon children grew in size, so, too, did they grow in mischievousness.  The four dragons enjoyed playing tricks and making jests with each other, but they loved to come together to play them on the king. Every joke they made slowly escalated until the king could take no more.

Exhausted, the king conferred with the queen and decided on what he had to do.

Calling the quadruplets together,  he announced his plans for his children.

"You have all grown so, and I'm ever so proud of who you all have become. It is time for you to have your own domain. Ao Guang, my eldest son. I gift you the East China Sea. May your rule be just and prosperous."

And with a bow, the azure dragon departed to his new domain.

"Ao Qin, my second born. I gift you the South China Sea. May your rule be just and prosperous."

And with a bow, the red dragon departed to his new domain.

"Ao Shun, my third. I gift to you the North Sea. May your rule be just and prosperous."

And with a bow, the black dragon departed to his new domain.

Now the Dragon King looked upon his youngest son with the utmost love. The little white dragon sat eagerly waiting his appointment, however the king intended to keep him by his side.

"But why shouldn't I rule a portion of the sea?" ask Ao Run, "I shall set off on my own, and rule the West Sea!" 

Laughing, the king praised Ao Run for his ambitious nature, but reminded him that no such sea existed.

His pride taking the better of him, Ao Run insisted he would find the sea. And with a bow, the white dragon departed in search of his new domain.

For weeks, Ao Run searched the lands of China  — traversing far into the west. He found no trace of the west sea, or water anywhere for that matter. He collapsed exhausted at the top of the Qilian Mountains, and cried out of frustration.

"How will I be the King of the West Sea if no such sea exists?"

His wails reached the throne of the Jade Emperor who felt much pity for the small, white dragon. The Emperor decided he would help the poor creature, and he summoned
Leigong - The God of Thunder, Dianmu - The Goddess of Lightening, Fengbo - the God of Wind, and Yun Tong - The God of Rain. The four gods recieved their orders, and set off to the Qilian Mountains.

At the top of the mountains, they found Ao Run curled about himself.

"White Dragon," said Dianmu, "we've been sent to help you. Come, wipe away your tears. Witness our creation."

The four gods held aloft their arms, and summoned a mighty storm. Lighting, thunder, wind and rain came together in a torrential downpour. The white dragon watched, amazed as thunder shook the dirt loose, lightening struck the ground, wind whipped away it's broken pieces, and water filled the empty spaces. 

Once the mighty storm had passed, there sat before the dragon a beautiful sea. Ao Run named the sea Qinghai for its blue hue. The Dragon lived the rest of his life ruling his West Sea.

 

Authors Note: For my reading this week I read The Monkey King. When I got to the part of the Dragon King, I wanted to know more about him and his background. I discovered this story of his brother, and thought it was super cute so I wanted to retell it. 


Bibliography: The Legend of Qinghai

2 comments:

  1. Hi, Jennifer. I liked your retelling of the story. Isn't it interesting how parents seem to have a special love for their youngest? Luckily I haven't experienced this for myself with my siblings (I'm the oldest). I've been reading Genesis out of the Bible lately, and over and over again the youngest sibling is treated specially. You can find this special treatment in God himself. Fortunately, we're all given special treatment.

    "The news of fatherhood excited the king, and wanted nothing more than to settle down with his love and rear his children." In that sentence, there shouldn't be a comma before the and. Commas before conjunctions, such as and, or, or but, only have commas before them when a complete sentence or clause is after them. Of course this rule can be broken when necessary.
    For example, "I love Drew, and Chloe" only works if I'm pausing to add Chloe in. In my opinion, that would be accomplished better with "I love Drew... and Chloe." Sometimes I don't know what I'm talking about, though. Keep up the good work.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Jennifer,
    I read The Monkey King too and I love your retelling of the dragons and how they each ruled different part of the sea. I fell sad for Ao Run for not finding his own sea and it is cool that the celestials were able to created one for him. I like your description of each dragon and their color. It helps me to visualize what they look like and boy they are colorful. Great story!

    ReplyDelete