Monday, January 25, 2021

Time Strategies

 

(image source: thebalancesmb.com)

 

 Hello, my name is Jennifer and I'm a procrastinator. 

I have a really bad habit of just not wanting to do it. I just don't wanna. I find myself wasting my time, instead of utilizing it. I did just get diagnosed with ADHD, and my psychiatrist said that procrastination is a factor. So with the help of my handy-dandy medication, I'm hoping this semester has more days of productivity, and fewer days just staring at the walls. 

This actually affects my life in every aspect. I put off doing things I enjoy like reading, or playing my guitars because it's just too much effort and I could just day dream instead. I procrasti-clean (is that a word?), which is useful, but my house can only be so clean (I googled it - it is a thing). 

I don't really know why I do this, because it only makes the situation worse. I have the habit of doing assignments last minute. The phrase "I work well under pressure" is a lie, I hate pressure - but I still put it off. It's a vicious circle.

I think the article How Checklists Train Your Brain explains the issue well. The gist of it is our brains have become used to the constant dopamine release we get from doing menial things. It makes me wonder if I actually have ADHD, or I'm just addicted to dopamine. 

Anyway, the article has useful tips for creating and keeping a checklist. I have a monthly calendar I use to keep track of assignments, but I think I will implement a checklist on the side to keep myself on track.

3 Steps to Recapture Time had a great  tip as well - Practice the Art of No. I don't have a difficult time saying no, unless it has to do with my job. I take on more responsibility than I need to - partly because I enjoy my job, but mainly because it looks good on a resume. I put off my school responsibilities to complete more work responsibilities. I have been told by my boss that it is OK to say no, so I'm absolutely going to have to start, because I'm taking 7 classes and most of my time will be focused on that. 

 


 (image source: giphy.com)

No comments:

Post a Comment