Wednesday, January 20, 2021

Storybook Favorites

 

(Image Source: lsu.edu)


Looking through past blogs of former students, I am impressed by the creativity and writing displayed. There are so many wonderful ideas that I hope to emulate. It was hard to narrow it down to only three blogs, but these three were the ones I found the most interesting.


Fairytale Case Files

This blog immediately caught my attention. It has a Dresden Files kind of feel (without the 'nice guy' vibes I get from Harry Dresden). The story is a somewhat typical noir mystery, with a fairy tale twist. The introduction gives the reader a sense of what to expect. The design of the blog is fitting - it makes me think of black and white mystery films. Overall, I enjoyed reading through this and thought it was an interesting idea. 

 

 Spooky Irish Ghost Stories

When I was a child, I was super into ghost stories. I think most children go through a 'spooky' phase. Around my 11th Christmas, I asked my parents to get me books about ghost stories. They got me a collection of Spooky 50 States and one about haunted European castles. This introduced me to Leap Castle in Ireland which sent me down a rabbit hole of Irish ghost stories.

 All of this is to say, when I saw the title for this blog I was immediately interested. Then, of course, the introduction trapped me with the mention of Leap Castle. The intro gives a short history of the castle, and presents the reader with an idea of what to expect from the rest of the story. The style of the blog is dark and creepy, with spooky pictures of Victorian children and skulls. The stories are told rather well, and I enjoyed the writers take on these ghost stories.


Trapped in a Closet: Again and Again

When I realized what this was, I simultaneously laughed and screamed. The intro gives a clear indication of the authors intention with the stories included. Each story is a retelling of another from the point-of-view of R. Kelly's (in)famous Trapped in the Closet. Bah Gawd I enjoyed these retelling's. I'm assuming this was created before the documentary was released, but it's still hilarious without giving any praise to R. Kelly.




(gif source: giphy.com)

No comments:

Post a Comment