Tuesday, April 27, 2021

Week 14 Microfictions: The Horror Within

 

"scary creature" by Bodin Sterba. Source.

 

100 Word Story

The mother softly sings to her baby, her voice shaking in fear. She looks through the window out into the dark night, the glass reflecting the lights of the approaching villagers. Turning back to her sleeping baby, she hurriedly hides him under the floorboards, praying he stays asleep. As she gets the floorboard back into place, her door hits the wall with a bang! Angry neighbors spill into her house, demanding she hand over her monster. Two men grab her and throw her to the floor. She cries out, but her scream is drowned out by an even louder one.

Two-Sentence Horror

The floorboards splinter open, birthing a creature so vile that God himself couldn't look upon it. The villagers try to run, but they didn't stand a chance.



Author's Note: I don't really know what this is, but I had fun writing it! I keep saying this, but I should have jumped on the Microfiction train ages ago. It's so fantastic. I had this idea after I thought about The Scarlet Letter for some reason. A mother loves her baby unconditionally (unless you're Chiron's mother), even if her precious angel is actually the Devil himself. I thought the image of the "vile creature" was super cute, and it made me laugh thinking about God being unable to look upon such cuteness. I took that line from the bible, where God shows his true face to... someone? I can't remember the full story, but he shows his face and it kills the man. Anyway, I like writing these!

1 comment:

  1. Hi Jennifer!
    I also think microfiction is fantastic! I really like both of your stories! I also like how they are connected. I wrote a one hundred word microfiction and a two sentence story as well, although mine weren’t connected. This story is really well written, and it was very easy to get in to it! The two sentence story was definitely a little creepy! Great job!

    ReplyDelete