Thursday, March 4, 2021

Week 6: Storylab Advice to Writers

 

Writermag.com

Advice to Writers


You've Got to Work It Over March 03, 2021

Don’t get discouraged because there’s a lot of mechanical work to writing. There is, and you can’t get out of it. I rewrote A Farewell to Arms at least fifty times. You’ve got to work it over. The first draft of anything is shit. When you first start to write you get all the kick and the reader gets none, but after you learn to work it’s your object to convey everything to the reader so that he remembers it not as a story he had read but something that happened to himself. That’s the true test of writing. When you can do that, the reader gets the kick and you don’t get any. You just get hard work and the better you write the harder it is because every story has to be better than the last one. It’s the hardest work there is. I like to do and can do many things better than I can write, but when I don’t write I feel like shit. I’ve got the talent and I feel that I’m wasting it.

ERNEST HEMINGWAY


I like this advice the best. You have to put in the work and effort to achieve anything. You can't just manifest your book into existence. I think there's a lot of advice regarding writing, and the most basic part is just doing it. Just sitting down and writing something is better than writing nothing at all. 



A Novel Takes Over a Writer's Life February 28, 2021

I just write what I want to write. Quiet is very beautiful to me, the medium of everything that matters. I'm grateful for the patience of my readers, certainly. But the fact is that a novel takes over a writer's life for literal years. What I write, day by day and word by word, is much of my felt life. It would be a terrible capitulation to give up my explorations of quiet because of anxiety about the receptiveness of readers. I have found that readers are very much to be trusted.

MARILYNNE ROBINSON

 

 I also quite like this advice. I think it's good to enjoy the "quiet" of your work, and not be consumed with every minuscule detail. Sometimes it's good to just let the writing flow instead of building an entire plan for every sentence. Those kinds of works tend to be tedious (in my opinion).

 


Writers Are Forever Remembering February 16, 2021

They straightened out the Mississippi River in places, to make room for houses and livable acreage. Occasionally the river floods these places...but in fact it is not flooding; it is remembering.... All water has a perfect memory and is forever trying to get back to where it was. Writers are like that: remembering where we were, what valley we ran through, what the banks were like, the light that was there and the route back to our original place.

TONI MORRISON
 
 
 
Even her advice is poetic. 
 
I really adore Toni Morrison. This advice is beautifully written (like everything Morrison writes). I think remembering is what really connects an author to their writing, and makes their pieces truly a part of who they are. 

No comments:

Post a Comment